The global Electric Scooters market size was valued at USD 16.80 billion in 2023 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.1% during the forecast period, reaching a value of USD 43.60 billion by 2030.
Electric Scooters market research report by Future Data Stats, offers a comprehensive view of the market's historical data from 2018 to 2021, capturing trends, growth patterns, and key drivers. It establishes 2022 as the base year, analyzing the market landscape, consumer behavior, competition, and regulations. Additionally, the report presents a well-researched forecast period from 2023 to 2030, leveraging data analysis techniques to project the market's growth trajectory, emerging opportunities, and anticipated challenges.
Electric scooters are lightweight and compact personal transportation devices powered by electricity. They have become increasingly popular for short-distance commuting and urban travel. Typically equipped with an electric motor and rechargeable battery, these scooters offer an eco-friendly alternative to traditional gas-powered vehicles. Users can ride them by simply stepping on and accelerating, making them a convenient and efficient mode of transportation for navigating city streets and urban environments.
Electric scooters come in various types and sizes, ranging from compact kick scooters to larger models with seats and more powerful motors. They are commonly used for both personal transportation and as part of shared mobility services offered by companies in many urban areas. Electric scooters have gained attention for their potential to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution while providing a convenient and affordable way to get around cities.
The key drivers is the increasing emphasis on environmentally friendly transportation options. As concerns about air quality and carbon emissions rise, electric scooters are seen as a sustainable alternative to traditional gasoline-powered vehicles. Additionally, urban congestion and the need for convenient last-mile transportation solutions in densely populated areas have fueled the demand for electric scooters. The proliferation of ride-sharing services and the adoption of electric scooters in rental fleets have further boosted market growth.
However, there are also notable restraints in the electric scooters market. Safety concerns, including accidents and injuries associated with scooter use, have led to regulatory challenges in many regions. Ensuring rider safety while maintaining ease of use remains a significant challenge for the industry. Additionally, the lifespan and durability of electric scooter batteries pose limitations, as these components require regular replacement, impacting both operational costs and environmental sustainability. Despite these challenges, opportunities abound in the form of technological advancements, such as improved battery technology and connectivity solutions.
ELECTRIC SCOOTERS MARKET SEGMENTAL ANALYSIS
Electric kick scooters have emerged as a dominant force, thanks to their simplicity and user-friendly design. These scooters are lightweight, foldable, and easy to operate, making them a favored choice for urban commuters looking for a convenient and eco-friendly mode of transportation. Their dominance can be attributed to their suitability for short-distance travel and their integration into various ride-sharing and rental services.
Electric mopeds, on the other hand, offer a balance between compactness and enhanced features. With a seat for added comfort and often more powerful motors, electric mopeds cater to users seeking a more relaxed and comfortable riding experience. They have gained traction in urban areas where commuters require a bit more speed and comfort than kick scooters can provide.
Electric motorcycles represent a segment of the market dominated by enthusiasts and commuters with longer travel distances. These vehicles are capable of higher speeds and longer ranges, making them a viable option for those looking to replace traditional gasoline-powered motorcycles with a more eco-friendly alternative. Their dominance in the market is driven by the growing interest in electric vehicles among motorcycle riders and the expansion of charging infrastructure.
Electric self-balancing scooters, often referred to as hoverboards or Segways, have a unique appeal driven by their futuristic design and intuitive control mechanisms. They offer an innovative mode of personal transportation, where riders can control the direction and speed simply by leaning in different directions. This distinctive factor has contributed to their popularity, particularly among tech-savvy individuals and young riders.
BY BATTERY TYPE:
Lithium-ion batteries have established their dominance due to several key factors. They are known for their lightweight nature, high energy density, and longer cycle life compared to other battery types. Lithium-ion batteries offer quick charging capabilities, making electric scooters more practical for daily use. Their dominance in the market can be attributed to their ability to provide a balance between power, efficiency, and durability, aligning with the demands of modern urban commuters.
Lead acid batteries, while less prevalent in the electric scooters market today, still play a role, particularly in some budget and entry-level models. Their dominance in the past was driven by their low cost and availability. However, they are heavier and have a shorter lifespan compared to lithium-ion batteries. As environmental concerns grow and users seek more eco-friendly options, lead acid batteries have faced challenges in maintaining their dominance.
Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries have found a niche in the market due to their moderate energy density and reliability. They offer a middle-ground solution between lead acid and lithium-ion batteries. Their dominance is influenced by their ability to provide a cost-effective and environmentally conscious alternative, appealing to users who prioritize sustainability and are willing to make a compromise on battery performance metrics.
Electric scooters with a 24V voltage rating are typically designed for lighter use and shorter commutes. They are favored for their compact size and simplicity, making them a popular choice for short-distance travel, particularly in crowded urban environments. While they may not offer the same level of speed and power as higher voltage scooters, their dominance in the market lies in their affordability and ease of use, making them accessible to a wide range of riders, including beginners and casual users.
Electric scooters with a 36V voltage rating strike a balance between power and practicality. They are versatile and suitable for a broader range of applications, including daily commuting and longer trips. Their dominance in the market stems from their ability to offer a satisfying blend of speed and range, making them appealing to riders who require a more versatile scooter for varied terrain and longer distances.
Scooters with a 48V voltage rating are known for their high performance and capability. They are dominant in the market due to their ability to deliver exceptional speed, acceleration, and range. These scooters are favored by enthusiasts and riders looking for a premium experience, often used for both daily commuting and recreational purposes. Their dominance reflects the demand for more powerful electric scooters that can rival traditional gasoline-powered counterparts in terms of performance.
In addition to the dominant voltage categories mentioned, there are also electric scooters with other voltage ratings, catering to specific niche requirements or specialized applications. These scooters may be designed for unique use cases, such as off-road adventures or extreme sports, and are chosen by riders seeking specialized features and capabilities.
BY WHEEL SIZE:
Small-wheel electric scooters, with wheel sizes less than 8 inches, are prized for their compactness and agility. Their dominance in the market is largely due to their maneuverability, making them ideal for navigating through crowded urban environments with ease. These scooters are favored by commuters looking for portability and convenience, as their compact size allows for easy folding and storage in tight spaces like buses and trains.
Medium-wheel electric scooters, featuring wheel sizes between 8 to 10 inches, offer a balanced combination of stability and maneuverability. Their dominance stems from their versatility, making them suitable for a wide range of urban and suburban commuting scenarios. They can handle rougher terrain more effectively than their smaller counterparts while still maintaining a manageable size for portability and storage.
Large-wheel electric scooters, with wheel sizes exceeding 10 inches, are known for their robustness and superior performance. Their dominance in the market is driven by their capability to tackle various terrains, including uneven surfaces and rough roads, with greater ease and comfort. These scooters are favored by riders looking for a premium experience and those who prioritize speed and stability in their daily commute.
BY END-USER APPLICATION:
The dominant factor in the personal use segment is the increasing demand for eco-friendly and convenient urban transportation solutions. Many individuals opt for electric scooters as a cost-effective and environmentally conscious way to commute short distances, particularly in congested city environments. The dominance of personal use electric scooters can be attributed to the desire for personal mobility, reduced reliance on traditional automobiles, and the ability to avoid traffic congestion.
Commercial applications, such as corporate fleets and rental services for tourists, are driven by factors like cost-effectiveness and brand visibility. Companies often use electric scooters as a means of enhancing their corporate image by promoting sustainable transportation options. The dominance of commercial use electric scooters is influenced by the cost savings achieved through shared fleet management and the potential for advertising and branding opportunities, making them an attractive choice for businesses.
The dominance of electric scooters in rental services is attributed to their convenience and accessibility. Rental companies offer electric scooters as a flexible and affordable transportation solution for short-term users, tourists, and urban explorers. This dominance is driven by the ease of locating and renting scooters through mobile apps, making them an appealing choice for those looking for on-demand transportation options.
In the delivery services segment, electric scooters are chosen primarily for their efficiency and cost-effectiveness in last-mile logistics. Companies engaged in food delivery, courier services, and e-commerce often opt for electric scooters to navigate urban areas efficiently. Their dominance is influenced by the ability to reduce delivery times and costs while minimizing environmental impact compared to traditional delivery vehicles.
Public transportation agencies are increasingly incorporating electric scooters into their multi-modal transit systems, offering commuters greater flexibility and connectivity. The dominance of electric scooters in public transportation is driven by the need to provide commuters with convenient first- and last-mile solutions to complement existing transit networks. This integration is intended to reduce urban congestion and improve overall mobility for city residents.
Major cities in the United States and Canada have seen the emergence of numerous electric scooter-sharing services, making them a popular choice for short-distance commuting. Regulatory frameworks and infrastructure improvements have also played a pivotal role in promoting electric scooter adoption. The dominance of North America in this market is further propelled by a tech-savvy population and the presence of leading electric scooter companies.
Europe has also embraced electric scooters as a sustainable and efficient mode of transportation, especially in densely populated urban areas. Cities like Paris, Berlin, and Barcelona have seen rapid growth in electric scooter sharing services. European countries have been proactive in implementing regulations to ensure safety and orderly scooter usage. Europe's dominance in the electric scooters market is influenced by its focus on reducing air pollution and promoting green mobility options, aligning with the continent's sustainability goals.
Asia Pacific stands out as a dominant force in the electric scooters market due to its vast population and increasing urbanization. Countries like China and India have witnessed a surge in demand for electric scooters as a means to combat traffic congestion and air pollution. In addition to personal use, electric scooters have been integrated into public transportation systems in several Asian cities. The dominance of Asia Pacific is driven by its robust manufacturing capabilities, affordability of electric scooters, and the pressing need for efficient urban mobility solutions.
Latin America and the Middle East and Africa are emerging markets for electric scooters, with growth driven by a combination of environmental concerns, urbanization, and increasing disposable income. These regions are gradually recognizing the potential benefits of electric scooters in reducing traffic congestion and promoting cleaner transportation options. While not as dominant as North America, Europe, or Asia Pacific, these regions represent significant growth opportunities for electric scooter manufacturers and service providers.
Initially, as lockdowns and travel restrictions were imposed worldwide, the demand for shared mobility services, including electric scooters, saw a sharp decline as people stayed home to mitigate the spread of the virus. Many electric scooter-sharing companies temporarily suspended their operations to comply with safety measures.
However, as the pandemic persisted, electric scooters eventually regained popularity as people sought alternative, socially distant modes of transportation for essential travel and short-distance commuting. The convenience of electric scooters in avoiding crowded public transportation became evident, leading to a resurgence in demand in some urban areas. Additionally, electric scooters played a role in facilitating contactless food and grocery deliveries, further boosting their utility during the pandemic.
Nevertheless, the market also faced challenges in terms of reduced funding and delayed expansion plans for electric scooter-sharing companies. The pandemic prompted a reevaluation of business models and operational strategies within the industry.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Ola Electric acquired Etergo, a Dutch electric scooter company, in 2022.
- Hero Electric acquired Ather Energy, an Indian electric scooter company, in 2023.
- Bajaj Auto acquired Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM in 2023.
New Product Launches
- Ola Electric launched its S1 Pro and S1 Air electric scooters in 2021.
- Hero Electric launched its AE-47 electric scooter in 2022.
- Ather Energy launched its 450X electric scooter in 2020.
- Bajaj Auto launched its Chetak electric scooter in 2019.
KEY MARKET PLAYERS:
- Spin (owned by Ford)
- Uber (Jump)
- Circ (formerly Flash)
- Okinawa Scooters
- Hero Electric
- Niu Technologies
- Ather Energy
- Ola Electric
- TVS Motor Company
- Mahindra GenZe
- Super Soco
- GenZe (owned by Mahindra)
Table of Contents
- Market Overview
- Market Dynamics
- 3.1 Market Drivers
- 3.2 Market Restraints
- 3.3 Market Opportunities
- Market Segmentation
- 4.1 By Type
- 4.2 By Battery Type
- 4.3 By Voltage
- 4.4 By Wheel Size
- 4.5 By End-user Application
- 4.6 By Region
- Competitive Landscape
- 5.1 Key Players
- 5.2 Market Share Analysis
- 5.3 Recent Developments
- Regional Analysis
- 6.1 North America
- 6.2 Europe
- 6.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.4 Latin America
- 6.5 Middle East and Africa
- Market Trends
- Future Outlook
- 10.1 Methodology
- 10.2 Data Sources
- 10.3 Disclaimer
Electric Scooters Market Segmentation
- Electric Kick Scooters
- Electric Mopeds
- Electric Motorcycles
- Electric Self-Balancing Scooters
By Battery Type:
- Lithium-ion Battery
- Lead Acid Battery
- Nickel-metal Hydride (NiMH) Battery
By Wheel Size:
- Small (Less than 8 inches)
- Medium (8 to 10 inches)
- Large (More than 10 inches)
By End-user Application:
- Personal Use
- Commercial Use
- Rental Services
- Delivery Services
- Public Transportation
- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Russia, Italy, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Rest of South America)
- Middle East and Africa (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Rest of MEA)
Key Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Comprehensive Insights: Our market research reports offer in-depth and comprehensive insights into various industries, markets, and sectors. These reports are the result of meticulous data collection, rigorous analysis, and expert interpretation. They provide you with invaluable information and a clear understanding of market trends, dynamics, and opportunities.
- Future Predictions: Our reports include future data statistics, forecasts, and predictions that are based on thorough analysis and modeling techniques. We consider factors such as market growth drivers, challenges, and emerging trends. Accessing these future data stats empowers you to make informed decisions and formulate strategies aligned with projected market scenarios.
- Industry Analysis: Our reports provide detailed industry analysis, encompassing critical factors like market size, market share, competitive landscape, and key players. They furnish an overview of the industry's current status, growth potential, and competitive dynamics. This knowledge enables you to pinpoint lucrative opportunities and maintain a competitive edge.
- Market Trends and Opportunities: By acquiring our market research reports, you gain access to up-to-the-minute information on market trends and emerging opportunities. These reports shed light on the latest consumer preferences, technological advancements, regulatory changes, and other influential factors shaping the market landscape. Tracking these trends equips you to identify potential growth areas and adapt your business strategies accordingly.
- Risk Mitigation: Investing in our market research reports can serve as a risk mitigation strategy in the face of market uncertainties. Our reports offer insights into potential risks, challenges, and barriers to entry in specific markets or industries. Armed with this knowledge, you can devise risk mitigation strategies, anticipate market fluctuations, and make informed decisions to minimize potential losses.
- Investment Decision Support: Our market research reports are invaluable tools for investors, venture capitalists, and financial institutions. They provide reliable, data-driven information that aids investment decision-making processes. By scrutinizing these reports, investors can assess market potential, evaluate investment opportunities, and gauge expected returns.
- Product Development and Innovation: Our reports offer insights into consumer preferences, needs, and demands, which can be leveraged for product development and innovation. Understanding market dynamics and consumer behavior allows you to tailor your products or services to meet evolving customer needs, leading to enhanced customer satisfaction and market success.
- Strategic Planning: Our market research reports serve as the foundation for strategic planning. They furnish a comprehensive overview of the market landscape, competitive positioning, and growth potential. Armed with this knowledge, you can formulate effective business strategies, set realistic goals, and allocate resources efficiently. Strategic planning based on accurate market research optimizes your operations and enhances your chances of success.
- Market Entry and Expansion: For businesses eyeing new markets or looking to expand, our market research reports are indispensable. These reports provide insights into market dynamics, consumer behavior, regulatory frameworks, and competitive landscapes specific to target markets. This information helps you assess market entry feasibility, identify potential obstacles, and devise market entry strategies for increased success.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making: Our market research reports offer evidence-based data and analysis, allowing for informed decision making. Rather than relying on assumptions or guesswork, you can base your decisions on reliable information and market insights. Evidence-based decision making reduces the risk of costly mistakes and heightens the likelihood of achieving your business objectives.
With a collective industry experience of about 70 years of analysts and experts, Future Data Stats encompasses the most infallible research methodology for its market intelligence and industry analysis. Not only does the company dig deep into the innermost levels of the market, but also examines the minutest details for its market estimates and forecasts.
This approach helps build a greater market-specific view of size, shape, and industry trends within each industry segment. Various industry trends and real-time developments are factored into identifying key growth factors and the future course of the market. The research proceeds are the results of high-quality data, expert views & analysis, and valuable independent opinions. The research process is designed to deliver a balanced view of the global markets and allows stakeholders to make informed decisions, to attain their highest growth objectives.
Future Data Stats offers its clients exhaustive research and analysis, based on a wide variety of factual inputs, which largely include interviews with industry participants, reliable statistics, and regional intelligence. The in-house industry experts play an instrumental role in designing analytic tools and models, tailored to the requirements of a particular industry segment. These analytical tools and models distill the data & statistics and enhance the accuracy of our recommendations and advice.
With Future Data Stats calibrated research process and 360° data-evaluation methodology, the clients receive:
- Consistent, valuable, robust, and actionable data & analysis that can easily be referenced for strategic business planning
- Technologically sophisticated and reliable insights through a well-audited and veracious research methodology
- Sovereign research proceeds that present a tangible depiction of the marketplace
With this strong methodology, Future Data Stats ensures that its research and analysis is most reliable and guarantees sound business planning.
The research methodology of the global market involves extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research includes about 24 hours of interviews and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders that include upstream and downstream participants. Primary research typically is a bulk of our research efforts, coherently supported by extensive secondary research. Over 3000 product literature, industry releases, annual reports, and other such documents of key industry participants have been reviewed to obtain a better market understanding and gain enhanced competitive intelligence. In addition, authentic industry journals, trade associations’ releases, and government websites have also been reviewed to generate high-value industry insights.
• Identify key opinion leaders
• Questionnaire design
• In-depth Interviews
• Coverage across the value chain
• Company Website
• Company Annual Reports
• Paid Databases
• Financial Reports
• Market Participants
• Key Strengths
• Product Portfolio
• Mapping as per Value Chain
• Key focus segment
Primary research efforts include reaching out to participants through emails, telephonic conversations, referrals, and professional corporate relations with various companies that make way for greater flexibility in reaching out to industry participants and commentators for interviews and discussions.
The aforementioned helps to:
- Validate and improve data quality and strengthen the research proceeds
- Develop a market understanding and expertise
- Supply authentic information about the market size, share, growth, and forecasts
The primary research interview and discussion panels comprise experienced industry personnel.
These participants include, but are not limited to:
- Chief executives and VPs of leading corporations specific to an industry
- Product and sales managers or country heads; channel partners & top-level distributors; banking, investments, and valuation experts
- Key opinion leaders (KOLs)
A broad array of industry sources for the secondary research typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Company SEC filings, annual reports, company websites, broker & financial reports, and investor presentations for a competitive scenario and shape of the industry
- Patent and regulatory databases to understand technical & legal developments
- Scientific and technical writings for product information and related preemptions
- Regional government and statistical databases for macro analysis
- Authentic news articles, web-casts, and other related releases to evaluate the market
- Internal and external proprietary databases, key market indicators, and relevant press releases for market estimates and forecasts
• Top executives of end-use industries
• C-level executives of the leading Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Sales manager and regional sales manager of the Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Industry Consultants
• Annual Reports
• Company Websites
• Press Releases
• News Articles
• Government Agencies’ Publications
• Industry Publications
• Paid Databases
Analyst Tools and Models:
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
· Market Share
· Key Market Players
· Key Market Players
· Market Share
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
Electric Scooters Market Dynamic Factors
- Growing emphasis on eco-friendly transportation solutions.
- Urban congestion and the need for convenient last-mile mobility options.
- Integration of electric scooters into ride-sharing and rental services.
- Advances in battery technology for longer range and faster charging.
- Reduction of air pollution and carbon emissions in urban areas.
- Safety concerns, including accidents and injuries.
- Regulatory challenges and evolving local laws.
- Limited battery lifespan and replacement costs.
- Competition from other micro-mobility solutions.
- Infrastructure limitations for charging and parking.
- Expansion into new geographic markets and untapped regions.
- Development of innovative and specialized scooter models.
- Integration with smart city initiatives and public transportation systems.
- Enhanced user experience through connectivity and IoT features.
- Collaborations with local governments for sustainable transportation solutions.
- Battery recycling and disposal challenges.
- Addressing concerns about scooter clutter and vandalism.
- Balancing profitability with sustainability in the sharing economy.
- Navigating the post-pandemic landscape and changing consumer behaviors.
- Managing operational costs and optimizing fleet maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions