The global Gene Therapy market size was valued at USD 10.38 billion in 2023 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.8% during the forecast period, reaching a value of USD 18.44 billion by 2030.
Gene Therapy market research report by Future Data Stats, offers a comprehensive view of the market's historical data from 2018 to 2021, capturing trends, growth patterns, and key drivers. It establishes 2022 as the base year, analyzing the market landscape, consumer behavior, competition, and regulations. Additionally, the report presents a well-researched forecast period from 2023 to 2030, leveraging data analysis techniques to project the market's growth trajectory, emerging opportunities, and anticipated challenges.
Gene Therapy is a cutting-edge medical intervention that involves introducing, altering, or replacing genetic material within an individual's cells to treat or prevent diseases. This innovative approach aims to address genetic disorders, such as cystic fibrosis or muscular dystrophy, by targeting the root cause at the genetic level. In this therapeutic process, a functional gene is introduced into the patient's cells, either by using viral vectors or other delivery mechanisms, to correct or compensate for the defective or missing gene responsible for the disorder. Gene Therapy holds great promise in revolutionizing the treatment landscape, offering potential cures for conditions that were once considered incurable.
By harnessing the power of genetic manipulation, Gene Therapy opens new avenues for treating various diseases, including certain types of cancers and genetic disorders. Unlike traditional treatments that often focus on alleviating symptoms, gene-based therapies aim to address the underlying genetic defects, providing a more targeted and potentially curative approach. The field of Gene Therapy continues to evolve rapidly, with ongoing research and clinical trials expanding its applications. As scientists and medical professionals delve deeper into understanding the intricacies of our genetic code, Gene Therapy emerges as a beacon of hope for transforming the treatment of genetic diseases and offering personalized, precision medicine for a wide range of medical conditions.
The increasing prevalence of genetic disorders and chronic diseases. As the understanding of genetics advances, there is a growing recognition of the potential of gene-based therapies to target the root causes of these conditions. Additionally, advancements in biotechnology and molecular biology contribute to the development of more efficient and targeted gene delivery systems, enhancing the overall effectiveness of Gene Therapy.
Despite the promising landscape, the market faces certain restraints that pose challenges to its widespread adoption. One notable restraint is the complexity and uncertainties associated with altering the human genome. Ethical concerns, regulatory hurdles, and the potential for unintended consequences underscore the need for careful consideration and thorough evaluation of safety and efficacy in Gene Therapy. Moreover, the high costs associated with research, development, and manufacturing of gene-based therapies present financial barriers, limiting accessibility for some patient populations.
Amidst these challenges, the Gene Therapy market also presents opportunities for growth and innovation. The increasing investment in research and development, coupled with strategic collaborations between biotechnology companies and academic institutions, fosters a conducive environment for breakthroughs in Gene Therapy.
GENE THERAPY MARKET SEGMENTAL ANALYSIS
Germline Gene Therapy represents a significant dimension in this landscape, focusing on the modification of genes within reproductive cells. This approach holds potential for preventing the transmission of hereditary diseases from one generation to the next. While the concept is groundbreaking, ethical considerations and the long-term implications of manipulating germline cells have sparked debates and regulatory scrutiny. Despite the challenges, the exploration of Germline Gene Therapy underscores the continuous quest for more comprehensive and preventive genetic interventions.
Somatic Gene Therapy, another key player in the Gene Therapy market, involves the modification of non-reproductive cells in the body. This targeted approach aims to treat specific tissues or organs affected by genetic disorders, cancers, or other ailments. Somatic Gene Therapy has witnessed notable successes in clinical trials, showcasing its potential to address a range of diseases at the cellular level. Unlike Germline Gene Therapy, Somatic Gene Therapy does not impact future generations, mitigating some of the ethical concerns associated with genetic manipulation.
Genetic Disorders represent a crucial facet of Gene Therapy applications, where the focus is on addressing inherited conditions caused by mutations or abnormalities in an individual's DNA. The potential for targeted genetic interventions to correct or mitigate the effects of these disorders positions Gene Therapy as a groundbreaking avenue for personalized medicine. As research progresses, the exploration of novel therapeutic approaches within the realm of Genetic Disorders continues to be a dominant factor propelling the growth of the Gene Therapy market.
Cancer stands out as a prominent application within the Gene Therapy landscape, offering a paradigm shift in the treatment of malignancies. Gene-based therapies for cancer aim to selectively target and eliminate cancer cells, providing a more precise and effective alternative to traditional treatments like chemotherapy. The dynamic nature of cancer and the ability to tailor gene therapies to specific types of tumors contribute to the continuous evolution of this application. The market's emphasis on cancer-related Gene Therapy underscores the transformative potential it holds for improving treatment outcomes and enhancing the quality of life for cancer patients.
Cardiovascular Diseases and Neurological Disorders also play pivotal roles in shaping the Gene Therapy market. In the realm of cardiovascular health, Gene Therapy holds promise for addressing genetic factors contributing to heart diseases. The targeted modification of genes associated with cardiovascular conditions opens avenues for innovative therapeutic strategies. Similarly, in the field of Neurological Disorders, Gene Therapy offers hope for conditions that have limited treatment options.
CRISPR-Cas9, a revolutionary gene-editing tool, has emerged as a game-changer in the field of genetic medicine. Its precision and versatility enable scientists to selectively modify genes with unprecedented accuracy. The widespread adoption of CRISPR-Cas9 technology in research and clinical applications underscores its transformative impact on the Gene Therapy market, offering a powerful tool for targeted genetic interventions.
Antisense Oligonucleotides (ASOs) represent another crucial technology driving advancements in Gene Therapy. ASOs function by modulating gene expression, making them valuable in treating genetic disorders and various diseases at the molecular level. This technology allows for the specific targeting of RNA to either enhance or inhibit gene expression, offering a tailored approach to address the underlying causes of diverse medical conditions. The growing recognition of ASOs as an effective and precise tool within the Gene Therapy landscape positions them as a dominant factor shaping the market's trajectory.
BY END USER:
Hospitals play a pivotal role as end users, providing a crucial interface between patients and the application of Gene Therapy. The integration of gene-based treatments into hospital settings not only expands the accessibility of these innovative therapies but also fosters collaboration between healthcare professionals and researchers. As hospitals increasingly incorporate Gene Therapy into their treatment repertoire, the market experiences a boost in both acceptance and utilization.
Biotechnology companies represent another dominant factor in the Gene Therapy market. These companies are at the forefront of research, development, and commercialization of gene-based therapies. Their active involvement in advancing technology and bringing novel treatments to market positions them as key players shaping the trajectory of Gene Therapy. The strategic alliances and partnerships formed by biotechnology companies further contribute to the market's growth by facilitating the translation of scientific advancements into tangible therapeutic solutions.
In North America, the market experiences robust growth, driven by advanced healthcare infrastructure, a well-established regulatory framework, and significant investments in research and development. The region serves as a hub for biotechnology innovation, fostering a conducive environment for the evolution of gene-based therapies. The increasing prevalence of genetic disorders and the presence of key market players contribute to North America's prominence in shaping the Gene Therapy landscape.
Europe emerges as another significant player in the Gene Therapy market, with a strong emphasis on research and a collaborative approach between academic institutions and the biotechnology industry. The region's well-defined regulatory landscape facilitates the efficient development and approval of gene-based treatments. Additionally, Asia Pacific is witnessing a growing interest in Gene Therapy, propelled by advancements in healthcare infrastructure and increasing awareness of personalized medicine.
The pandemic-induced disruptions in the supply chain, coupled with the prioritization of resources for managing the health crisis, have led to delays in clinical trials and the development of gene-based therapies. Additionally, the economic challenges posed by the pandemic have affected investment patterns and funding availability for research and development in the Gene Therapy sector.
On the positive side, the heightened focus on public health has underscored the importance of innovative medical solutions, potentially driving increased interest and support for Gene Therapy research.
Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Pfizer's acquisition of Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company for $11.6 billion in May 2022. This acquisition gave Pfizer access to Biohaven's pipeline of gene therapies for neurological disorders, including a Phase 3 gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA).
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals' acquisition of Semma Therapeutics for $1.05 billion in August 2022. This acquisition gave Vertex access to Semma's pipeline of gene therapies for cystic fibrosis (CF), including a Phase 1/2 gene therapy for CF-related lung disease.
- Roche's acquisition of Genentech for $42.5 billion in March 2023. This acquisition gave Roche full ownership of Genentech, which has a leading gene therapy pipeline for cancer, including a Phase 3 gene therapy for B-cell lymphoma.
Product New Launches:
- Luxturna (voretigene neparvovec-rzyl), a gene therapy for the rare blinding disorder Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA), was approved by the FDA in December 2017 and launched in the US in February 2018. Luxturna was the first gene therapy to be approved by the FDA for a genetic disease.
- Zolgensma (onasemnogene abeparvovec), a gene therapy for SMA, was approved by the FDA in May 2019 and launched in the US in July 2019. Zolgensma was the first gene therapy to be approved by the FDA for SMA.
- Kymriah (tisagenlecleucel-t) and Yescarta (axicabtagene ciloleucel), two CAR T-cell therapies for certain types of blood cancer, were approved by the FDA in August 2017 and October 2017, respectively. CAR T-cell therapies are a type of gene therapy that involves genetically engineering a patient's own T cells to attack cancer cells.
KEY MARKET PLAYERS:
- Novartis AG
- Spark Therapeutics
- Bluebird Bio
- Sangamo Therapeutics
- uniQure N.V.
- CRISPR Therapeutics
- Editas Medicine
- Intellia Therapeutics
- Regenxbio Inc.
- Orchard Therapeutics
- Amgen Inc.
- Lonza Group
- Pfizer Inc.
- Audentes Therapeutics (Acquired by Astellas Pharma)
- Biogen Inc.
- Celgene Corporation (Acquired by Bristol Myers Squibb)
- Sarepta Therapeutics
- Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Abeona Therapeutics
- Voyager Therapeutics
- Solid Biosciences
- LogicBio Therapeutics
- Homology Medicines
- GenSight Biologics
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Market Overview
- Market Dynamics
- Gene Therapy Market Segmentation
- By Type
- By Application
- By Vector Type
- By Technology
- By End User
- By Region
- Competitive Landscape
- Key Players
- Market Share Analysis
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Collaborations and Partnerships
- Regional Analysis
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- Company Profiles
- Company A
- Company B
- Company C
Gene Therapy market Segmentation
- Germline Gene Therapy
- Somatic Gene Therapy
- Genetic Disorders
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Neurological Disorders
- Antisense Oligonucleotides
- RNA Interference
By End User:
- Biotechnology Companies
- Research Institutes
- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Russia, Italy, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Rest of South America)
- Middle East and Africa (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Rest of MEA)
Key Reasons to Buy this Report
- Comprehensive Insights: Market research reports provide in-depth and comprehensive insights into various industries, markets, and sectors. These reports are prepared after extensive data collection, analysis, and interpretation, offering you valuable information and a clear understanding of market trends, dynamics, and opportunities.
- Future Predictions: Market research reports often include future data statistics, forecasts, and predictions. These predictions are based on rigorous analysis and modeling techniques, taking into account various factors such as market growth drivers, challenges, and emerging trends. By accessing these future data stats, you can make informed decisions and develop strategies that align with the projected market scenarios.
- Industry Analysis: Market research reports offer detailed industry analysis, including factors such as market size, market share, competitive landscape, and key players. These reports provide an overview of the industry's current status, growth potential, and competitive dynamics, enabling you to identify lucrative opportunities and stay ahead of the competition.
- Market Trends and Opportunities: By purchasing market research reports, you gain access to up-to-date information on market trends and emerging opportunities. These reports highlight the latest consumer preferences, technological advancements, regulatory changes, and other influential factors shaping the market landscape. Keeping track of these trends helps you identify potential growth areas and adapt your business strategies accordingly.
- Risk Mitigation: Investing in a market research report can help mitigate risks associated with market uncertainties. The reports provide insights into potential risks, challenges, and barriers to entry in specific markets or industries. With this knowledge, you can develop risk mitigation strategies, anticipate market fluctuations, and make informed decisions to minimize potential losses.
- Investment Decision Support: Market research reports are valuable tools for investors, venture capitalists, and financial institutions. These reports provide reliable and data-driven information that aids in investment decision-making processes. By analyzing market research reports, investors can evaluate the market potential, assess the feasibility of investment opportunities, and gauge the expected returns on investment.
- Product Development and Innovation: Market research reports offer insights into consumer preferences, needs, and demands. This information can be leveraged for product development and innovation. By understanding the market dynamics and consumer behavior, you can tailor your products or services to meet the evolving needs of your target audience, leading to enhanced customer satisfaction and market success.
- Strategic Planning: Market research reports serve as a foundation for strategic planning. They provide a comprehensive overview of the market landscape, competitive positioning, and growth potential. With this knowledge, you can develop effective business strategies, set realistic goals, and allocate resources efficiently. Strategic planning based on accurate market research helps optimize your operations and improve your chances of success.
- Market Entry and Expansion: For businesses looking to enter new markets or expand their existing operations, market research reports are indispensable. These reports provide insights into market dynamics, consumer behavior, regulatory frameworks, and competitive landscapes specific to the target markets. This information helps you assess the feasibility of market entry, identify potential obstacles, and develop market entry strategies that increase your chances of success.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making: Market research reports provide evidence-based data and analysis, enabling you to make informed decisions. Rather than relying on assumptions or guesswork, you can base your decisions on reliable information and market insights. Evidence-based decision making reduces the risk of costly mistakes and increases the likelihood of achieving your business objectives.
With a collective industry experience of about 70 years of analysts and experts, Future Data Stats encompasses the most infallible research methodology for its market intelligence and industry analysis. Not only does the company dig deep into the innermost levels of the market, but also examines the minutest details for its market estimates and forecasts.
This approach helps build a greater market-specific view of size, shape, and industry trends within each industry segment. Various industry trends and real-time developments are factored into identifying key growth factors and the future course of the market. The research proceeds are the results of high-quality data, expert views & analysis, and valuable independent opinions. The research process is designed to deliver a balanced view of the global markets and allows stakeholders to make informed decisions, to attain their highest growth objectives.
Future Data Stats offers its clients exhaustive research and analysis, based on a wide variety of factual inputs, which largely include interviews with industry participants, reliable statistics, and regional intelligence. The in-house industry experts play an instrumental role in designing analytic tools and models, tailored to the requirements of a particular industry segment. These analytical tools and models distill the data & statistics and enhance the accuracy of our recommendations and advice.
With Future Data Stats calibrated research process and 360° data-evaluation methodology, the clients receive:
- Consistent, valuable, robust, and actionable data & analysis that can easily be referenced for strategic business planning
- Technologically sophisticated and reliable insights through a well-audited and veracious research methodology
- Sovereign research proceeds that present a tangible depiction of the marketplace
With this strong methodology, Future Data Stats ensures that its research and analysis is most reliable and guarantees sound business planning.
The research methodology of the global market involves extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research includes about 24 hours of interviews and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders that include upstream and downstream participants. Primary research typically is a bulk of our research efforts, coherently supported by extensive secondary research. Over 3000 product literature, industry releases, annual reports, and other such documents of key industry participants have been reviewed to obtain a better market understanding and gain enhanced competitive intelligence. In addition, authentic industry journals, trade associations’ releases, and government websites have also been reviewed to generate high-value industry insights.
• Identify key opinion leaders
• Questionnaire design
• In-depth Interviews
• Coverage across the value chain
• Company Website
• Company Annual Reports
• Paid Databases
• Financial Reports
• Market Participants
• Key Strengths
• Product Portfolio
• Mapping as per Value Chain
• Key focus segment
Primary research efforts include reaching out to participants through emails, telephonic conversations, referrals, and professional corporate relations with various companies that make way for greater flexibility in reaching out to industry participants and commentators for interviews and discussions.
The aforementioned helps to:
- Validate and improve data quality and strengthen the research proceeds
- Develop a market understanding and expertise
- Supply authentic information about the market size, share, growth, and forecasts
The primary research interview and discussion panels comprise experienced industry personnel.
These participants include, but are not limited to:
- Chief executives and VPs of leading corporations specific to an industry
- Product and sales managers or country heads; channel partners & top-level distributors; banking, investments, and valuation experts
- Key opinion leaders (KOLs)
A broad array of industry sources for the secondary research typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Company SEC filings, annual reports, company websites, broker & financial reports, and investor presentations for a competitive scenario and shape of the industry
- Patent and regulatory databases to understand technical & legal developments
- Scientific and technical writings for product information and related preemptions
- Regional government and statistical databases for macro analysis
- Authentic news articles, web-casts, and other related releases to evaluate the market
- Internal and external proprietary databases, key market indicators, and relevant press releases for market estimates and forecasts
• Top executives of end-use industries
• C-level executives of the leading Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Sales manager and regional sales manager of the Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Industry Consultants
• Annual Reports
• Company Websites
• Press Releases
• News Articles
• Government Agencies’ Publications
• Industry Publications
• Paid Databases
Analyst Tools and Models:
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
· Market Share
· Key Market Players
· Key Market Players
· Market Share
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
Gene Therapy Market Dynamic Factors
- Increasing prevalence of genetic disorders and chronic diseases
- Advancements in biotechnology and molecular biology
- Growing awareness of the potential of gene-based therapies
- Continuous research and development activities in genetic medicine
- Ethical concerns and regulatory scrutiny related to genetic manipulation
- Complexity and uncertainties associated with altering the human genome
- High costs of research, development, and manufacturing in gene therapy
- Limited accessibility for certain patient populations due to financial barriers
- Expanding applications of gene therapy beyond rare genetic disorders
- Strategic collaborations between biotechnology companies and research institutes
- Increasing investment in research and development in the gene therapy field
- Exploration of innovative delivery mechanisms for gene-based treatments
- Ethical considerations and long-term implications of genetic interventions
- Regulatory hurdles and the need for thorough safety and efficacy evaluations
- Identification of novel therapeutic targets for diverse medical conditions
- Balancing the potential benefits of gene therapy with potential unintended consequences
Frequently Asked Questions