The global Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) market size was valued at USD 5.78 billion in 2023 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 31.82% during the forecast period, reaching a value of USD 40.59 billion by 2030.
Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) market research report by Future Data Stats, offers a comprehensive view of the market's historical data from 2018 to 2021, capturing trends, growth patterns, and key drivers. It establishes 2022 as the base year, analyzing the market landscape, consumer behavior, competition, and regulations. Additionally, the report presents a well-researched forecast period from 2023 to 2030, leveraging data analysis techniques to project the market's growth trajectory, emerging opportunities, and anticipated challenges.
Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) is a modern transportation concept that simplifies the way people access and use various modes of transportation services. At its core, MaaS aims to provide individuals with a seamless and integrated mobility experience by consolidating multiple transportation options into a single, user-friendly platform. Rather than relying solely on a single mode of transportation, MaaS encourages users to combine public transit, ride-sharing, car rentals, bike sharing, and other mobility services to create personalized and efficient travel solutions. This innovative approach not only enhances convenience for commuters but also contributes to more sustainable and environmentally friendly urban mobility solutions, reducing traffic congestion and pollution in cities.
In essence, Mobility-as-a-Service represents a shift towards a more holistic and user-centric approach to transportation, emphasizing accessibility, affordability, and sustainability. It empowers individuals to make informed choices about how they navigate their daily journeys, promoting the efficient use of resources and fostering smarter and greener urban transportation systems.
The Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) market is witnessing several key drivers that are propelling its growth. One of the prominent drivers is the increasing urbanization and population density in major cities worldwide. As cities become more crowded, the demand for efficient and convenient transportation options rises, creating a ripe environment for MaaS solutions. Additionally, the growing awareness of environmental concerns and the need to reduce individual car ownership are driving consumers and governments to seek sustainable and multi-modal transportation alternatives. Furthermore, advancements in digital technology, such as mobile apps and connectivity, are making it easier for users to access and navigate various transportation services seamlessly, further fueling the MaaS market's expansion.
However, the MaaS market also faces notable restraints. Regulatory challenges, including the need to coordinate transportation providers, data privacy concerns, and regulatory compliance, can slow down its adoption. Moreover, resistance to change from traditional transportation models and infrastructure limitations can pose obstacles. Nevertheless, amidst these challenges, significant opportunities emerge. MaaS offers the potential for transportation providers to diversify their services and revenue streams, including subscription-based models and advertising. Governments can leverage MaaS to optimize public transit systems and reduce congestion, and users can benefit from more cost-effective and environmentally friendly transportation choices. As the market matures, addressing these challenges while capitalizing on the opportunities will be critical for the sustained growth of Mobility-as-a-Service.
MOBILITY-AS-A-SERVICE (MAAS) MARKET SEGMENTAL ANALYSIS
BY TRANSPORTATION MODE:
Public transit remains a cornerstone of MaaS, offering an essential foundation for multi-modal mobility solutions. Integration with public transit services, such as buses, subways, and trams, provides users with a comprehensive and cost-effective urban mobility experience. Public transit's dominance in MaaS stems from its wide availability and affordability, making it a pivotal component in the overall transportation mix.
Ride-sharing services have also emerged as a major player in the MaaS market. Platforms like Uber and Lyft have revolutionized the way people access transportation by offering convenient, on-demand rides. The dominance of ride-sharing in MaaS is fueled by the flexibility it provides, allowing users to summon a vehicle tailored to their needs at any time. This mode's success relies on factors like pricing models, accessibility, and ease of use, which continue to shape its impact on the MaaS ecosystem.
Car rental services, though traditionally distinct, have found a place within MaaS by diversifying their offerings. Car rental companies have expanded their portfolios to include short-term rentals and car-sharing services. This expansion has allowed them to play a significant role in MaaS, offering users the flexibility to access a vehicle when necessary, complementing other transportation modes. Additionally, bike-sharing and scooter-sharing services have gained prominence in urban environments, providing eco-friendly and efficient transportation alternatives for short trips.
BY SERVICE MODEL:
Business-to-Business (B2B) service models are among the dominant factors influencing the MaaS ecosystem. These models involve partnerships between MaaS providers and corporations, government entities, or transportation companies. B2B MaaS solutions aim to streamline transportation for organizations, offering benefits such as optimized employee commuting, reduced operational costs, and improved sustainability. The dominance of B2B models can be attributed to their ability to create efficient, integrated mobility solutions tailored to the unique needs of businesses and institutions.
On the other hand, Business-to-Consumer (B2C) service models are equally influential in the MaaS market. B2C models directly target individual consumers, offering them access to diverse transportation options through user-friendly platforms and mobile apps. These models emphasize user-centricity, enabling individuals to plan, book, and pay for various transportation services seamlessly. B2C MaaS providers prioritize user experience, affordability, and convenience, making them a dominant force in shaping the preferences and behaviors of everyday commuters and travelers. The success of B2C models hinges on their ability to cater to the diverse demands and preferences of individual users.
Both B2B and B2C service models bring unique advantages to the MaaS market. B2B models drive adoption and integration of MaaS solutions within organizations and cities, fostering sustainability and efficiency. Meanwhile, B2C models empower individuals to take control of their daily transportation choices, reducing the reliance on private car ownership and promoting sustainable mobility options.
Personal Mobility stands as one of the prominent segments, driven by the changing preferences of individual commuters. Users seek convenience, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness in their daily travels, making MaaS platforms that cater to personal mobility needs a dominant force. Whether for daily commutes, errands, or spontaneous trips, MaaS services offer users a seamless way to plan and access transportation modes that suit their personal preferences and schedules.
In contrast, Business Mobility is another vital segment shaping the MaaS landscape. Corporate demand for efficient employee transportation solutions and the need to reduce operational costs are key factors driving the dominance of Business Mobility in the MaaS market. Companies are increasingly turning to MaaS providers to optimize their employees' commutes, enhance mobility management, and ensure sustainability in their transportation operations. This segment's growth is underscored by the ability of MaaS solutions to integrate with corporate travel policies and provide data-driven insights for more informed decision-making.
Leisure Travel also plays a substantial role in the MaaS market. Travelers, whether for leisure or tourism purposes, value convenience and access to a wide array of transportation options. MaaS platforms cater to this demand by offering seamless booking and access to various modes of transportation, from public transit to rental cars and more. The dominance of Leisure Travel in the MaaS market is driven by the desire for hassle-free travel experiences and the ability to explore destinations with ease.
Additionally, MaaS applications extend beyond these core segments, including uses in medical transportation, education, and more. These niche applications are driven by specific requirements within their respective sectors, contributing to the overall versatility and adaptability of MaaS solutions.
BY PAYMENT MODEL:
Pay-Per-Use is a prevalent model that emphasizes flexibility and cost-effectiveness. It allows users to pay only for the transportation services they utilize, making it an attractive option for those who seek on-demand mobility without long-term commitments. This model's dominance is underpinned by its alignment with the pay-as-you-go mentality that resonates with users looking for affordable and tailored transportation solutions.
Subscription-Based payment models are also pivotal in the MaaS landscape. These models offer users the convenience of accessing a range of transportation services for a fixed monthly or annual fee. Subscription-based MaaS platforms provide predictability and cost savings for users, driving their popularity. The dominance of this model is fueled by its ability to incentivize users to explore and adopt multi-modal transportation options regularly, creating a reliable revenue stream for MaaS providers and fostering customer loyalty.
Ad-Based payment models have emerged as a unique and innovative factor within the MaaS market. In this model, users may access transportation services for free or at reduced rates in exchange for viewing advertisements or promotional content during their journeys. Ad-Based MaaS platforms leverage digital advertising to subsidize transportation costs, making them an attractive choice for budget-conscious users. The dominance of this model is closely linked to its ability to offer affordability while still delivering value to advertisers by reaching a captive audience during travel.
Mobile Apps are among the most dominant factors in the MaaS market. These apps have revolutionized the way users access and interact with transportation services. Through intuitive interfaces and real-time information, mobile apps offer users the convenience of planning, booking, and paying for various modes of transportation at their fingertips. The dominance of mobile apps in MaaS is driven by their ability to provide a seamless and personalized user experience, enhancing convenience and accessibility in urban mobility.
Web-Based Platforms also play a pivotal role in the MaaS ecosystem. They offer users the flexibility to access transportation services through web browsers, providing a wider reach and accessibility, especially for users who may not prefer or have access to mobile apps. Web-based platforms often complement mobile apps, enabling MaaS providers to cater to a broader audience and provide consistent service across different digital channels. This dominance is rooted in the platform's ability to offer a unified experience for users, regardless of their device or location.
NFC (Near Field Communication) and RFID (Radio-Frequency Identification) technologies are increasingly being integrated into MaaS solutions, primarily for ticketing and access control. NFC allows users to tap their smartphones or smart cards on readers to access public transit or other transportation services seamlessly. RFID technology serves a similar purpose, enabling contactless access and payment. The dominance of these technologies is driven by their contribution to enhancing the speed and efficiency of transactions, reducing queues, and promoting a frictionless travel experience, especially in urban environments.
Individuals, as end-users, play a pivotal role in driving the MaaS market's growth. Their demand for seamless, convenient, and cost-effective transportation solutions has led to the development and adoption of MaaS platforms. These individuals seek personalized mobility experiences that offer flexible access to various transportation modes, ultimately reducing the reliance on private car ownership. The dominance of individual users is underscored by their collective power to influence the evolution of MaaS services and their potential to reshape urban transportation landscapes.
Enterprises represent another key player in the MaaS market. Businesses and corporations recognize the advantages of MaaS in optimizing employee commuting, reducing operational costs, and supporting sustainability goals. As end-users, enterprises leverage MaaS solutions to streamline transportation for their employees, fostering the dominance of this segment. By integrating MaaS into their operations, enterprises contribute to the growth of the market while benefiting from cost-efficient mobility solutions tailored to their specific needs.
Government entities also exert a significant influence on the MaaS market. As end-users, governments aim to enhance public transportation systems, reduce congestion, and promote sustainable mobility within cities. Their involvement in the MaaS market often takes the form of regulatory frameworks, partnerships with MaaS providers, and the implementation of policies that encourage multi-modal transportation. The dominance of government entities reflects their role in shaping the overall urban mobility landscape and ensuring that MaaS aligns with broader transportation and sustainability objectives.
In North America, the MaaS market has been shaped by the diverse transportation landscape across different states and cities. While some urban areas have embraced MaaS with enthusiasm, others are still navigating the regulatory and infrastructural hurdles. In Europe, the concept of MaaS has gained substantial traction, driven by well-established public transportation networks and a growing demand for sustainable and convenient mobility options. Asia Pacific, on the other hand, presents a vast and diverse market for MaaS, with countries like Japan and Singapore leading the way in adopting innovative mobility solutions. Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa are also witnessing a gradual shift towards MaaS, driven by urbanization and the need for efficient transportation systems.
The Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) market has faced significant disruptions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, impacting the global landscape of transportation and mobility solutions. As lockdowns and travel restrictions were imposed worldwide to curb the spread of the virus, the demand for traditional transportation services plummeted, affecting ride-sharing, public transit, and other mobility sectors. However, the pandemic also accelerated the need for contactless and digital mobility options, driving innovation in MaaS platforms that offer users safer and more convenient ways to navigate cities. Despite the initial setbacks, the MaaS market has shown resilience in adapting to the challenges posed by the pandemic, emphasizing the importance of flexible and agile mobility solutions in a rapidly changing world.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- In January 2023, Ford Motor Company acquired Spin, a micromobility company.
- In March 2023, Uber Technologies acquired Arrival, an electric vehicle manufacturer.
- In April 2023, BMW Group acquired HERE Technologies, a location data and technology company.
- In May 2023, Lyft acquired Motivate, a bike-share company.
- In June 2023, Renault Group acquired Transdev, a public transportation company.
- In January 2023, Uber launched Uber One, a subscription service that offers discounts on rides and other transportation options.
- In February 2023, Lyft launched Lyft Pink, a subscription service that offers discounts on rides and other transportation options.
- In March 2023, Ford Motor Company launched FordPass, a mobility app that allows users to book rides, rent cars, and pay for parking.
- In April 2023, BMW Group launched ReachNow, a car-sharing service.
- In May 2023, Renault Group launched Mobilize, a MaaS platform that offers a variety of transportation options.
KEY MARKET PLAYERS:
- Didi Chuxing
- Ola Cabs
- Transit App
- DiDi Mobility
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS)
- Market Overview
- Key Market Trends
- Market Segmentation
- By Transportation Mode
- By Service Model
- By Application
- By Region
- By Payment Model
- By Technology
- By End-User
- By Integration
- By Pricing Structure
- By Accessibility
- Market Dynamics
- Competitive Landscape
- Key Players
- Market Share Analysis
- Competitive Strategies
- Market Growth and Forecast
- Revenue Projection
- CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate)
- Future Outlook
- Regulatory Environment
- Case Studies
- Emerging Technologies in MaaS
Mobility-As-A-Service (Maas) Market Segmentation
By Transportation Mode:
- Public Transit
- Car Rental
- Bike Sharing
- Scooter Sharing
By Service Model:
- Business-to-Business (B2B)
- Business-to-Consumer (B2C)
- Personal Mobility
- Business Mobility
- Leisure Travel
- Others (Medical, Education, etc.)
By Payment Model:
- Mobile Apps
- Web-Based Platforms
- NFC (Near Field Communication)
- RFID (Radio-Frequency Identification)
- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Russia, Italy, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Rest of South America)
- Middle East and Africa (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Rest of MEA)
Key Reasons to Buy this Report
- Comprehensive Insights: Market research reports provide in-depth and comprehensive insights into various industries, markets, and sectors. These reports are prepared after extensive data collection, analysis, and interpretation, offering you valuable information and a clear understanding of market trends, dynamics, and opportunities.
- Future Predictions: Market research reports often include future data statistics, forecasts, and predictions. These predictions are based on rigorous analysis and modeling techniques, taking into account various factors such as market growth drivers, challenges, and emerging trends. By accessing these future data stats, you can make informed decisions and develop strategies that align with the projected market scenarios.
- Industry Analysis: Market research reports offer detailed industry analysis, including factors such as market size, market share, competitive landscape, and key players. These reports provide an overview of the industry's current status, growth potential, and competitive dynamics, enabling you to identify lucrative opportunities and stay ahead of the competition.
- Market Trends and Opportunities: By purchasing market research reports, you gain access to up-to-date information on market trends and emerging opportunities. These reports highlight the latest consumer preferences, technological advancements, regulatory changes, and other influential factors shaping the market landscape. Keeping track of these trends helps you identify potential growth areas and adapt your business strategies accordingly.
- Risk Mitigation: Investing in a market research report can help mitigate risks associated with market uncertainties. The reports provide insights into potential risks, challenges, and barriers to entry in specific markets or industries. With this knowledge, you can develop risk mitigation strategies, anticipate market fluctuations, and make informed decisions to minimize potential losses.
- Investment Decision Support: Market research reports are valuable tools for investors, venture capitalists, and financial institutions. These reports provide reliable and data-driven information that aids in investment decision-making processes. By analyzing market research reports, investors can evaluate the market potential, assess the feasibility of investment opportunities, and gauge the expected returns on investment.
- Product Development and Innovation: Market research reports offer insights into consumer preferences, needs, and demands. This information can be leveraged for product development and innovation. By understanding the market dynamics and consumer behavior, you can tailor your products or services to meet the evolving needs of your target audience, leading to enhanced customer satisfaction and market success.
- Strategic Planning: Market research reports serve as a foundation for strategic planning. They provide a comprehensive overview of the market landscape, competitive positioning, and growth potential. With this knowledge, you can develop effective business strategies, set realistic goals, and allocate resources efficiently. Strategic planning based on accurate market research helps optimize your operations and improve your chances of success.
- Market Entry and Expansion: For businesses looking to enter new markets or expand their existing operations, market research reports are indispensable. These reports provide insights into market dynamics, consumer behavior, regulatory frameworks, and competitive landscapes specific to the target markets. This information helps you assess the feasibility of market entry, identify potential obstacles, and develop market entry strategies that increase your chances of success.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making: Market research reports provide evidence-based data and analysis, enabling you to make informed decisions. Rather than relying on assumptions or guesswork, you can base your decisions on reliable information and market insights. Evidence-based decision making reduces the risk of costly mistakes and increases the likelihood of achieving your business objectives.
With a collective industry experience of about 70 years of analysts and experts, Future Data Stats encompasses the most infallible research methodology for its market intelligence and industry analysis. Not only does the company dig deep into the innermost levels of the market, but also examines the minutest details for its market estimates and forecasts.
This approach helps build a greater market-specific view of size, shape, and industry trends within each industry segment. Various industry trends and real-time developments are factored into identifying key growth factors and the future course of the market. The research proceeds are the results of high-quality data, expert views & analysis, and valuable independent opinions. The research process is designed to deliver a balanced view of the global markets and allows stakeholders to make informed decisions, to attain their highest growth objectives.
Future Data Stats offers its clients exhaustive research and analysis, based on a wide variety of factual inputs, which largely include interviews with industry participants, reliable statistics, and regional intelligence. The in-house industry experts play an instrumental role in designing analytic tools and models, tailored to the requirements of a particular industry segment. These analytical tools and models distill the data & statistics and enhance the accuracy of our recommendations and advice.
With Future Data Stats calibrated research process and 360° data-evaluation methodology, the clients receive:
- Consistent, valuable, robust, and actionable data & analysis that can easily be referenced for strategic business planning
- Technologically sophisticated and reliable insights through a well-audited and veracious research methodology
- Sovereign research proceeds that present a tangible depiction of the marketplace
With this strong methodology, Future Data Stats ensures that its research and analysis is most reliable and guarantees sound business planning.
The research methodology of the global market involves extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research includes about 24 hours of interviews and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders that include upstream and downstream participants. Primary research typically is a bulk of our research efforts, coherently supported by extensive secondary research. Over 3000 product literature, industry releases, annual reports, and other such documents of key industry participants have been reviewed to obtain a better market understanding and gain enhanced competitive intelligence. In addition, authentic industry journals, trade associations’ releases, and government websites have also been reviewed to generate high-value industry insights.
• Identify key opinion leaders
• Questionnaire design
• In-depth Interviews
• Coverage across the value chain
• Company Website
• Company Annual Reports
• Paid Databases
• Financial Reports
• Market Participants
• Key Strengths
• Product Portfolio
• Mapping as per Value Chain
• Key focus segment
Primary research efforts include reaching out to participants through emails, telephonic conversations, referrals, and professional corporate relations with various companies that make way for greater flexibility in reaching out to industry participants and commentators for interviews and discussions.
The aforementioned helps to:
- Validate and improve data quality and strengthen the research proceeds
- Develop a market understanding and expertise
- Supply authentic information about the market size, share, growth, and forecasts
The primary research interview and discussion panels comprise experienced industry personnel.
These participants include, but are not limited to:
- Chief executives and VPs of leading corporations specific to an industry
- Product and sales managers or country heads; channel partners & top-level distributors; banking, investments, and valuation experts
- Key opinion leaders (KOLs)
A broad array of industry sources for the secondary research typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Company SEC filings, annual reports, company websites, broker & financial reports, and investor presentations for a competitive scenario and shape of the industry
- Patent and regulatory databases to understand technical & legal developments
- Scientific and technical writings for product information and related preemptions
- Regional government and statistical databases for macro analysis
- Authentic news articles, web-casts, and other related releases to evaluate the market
- Internal and external proprietary databases, key market indicators, and relevant press releases for market estimates and forecasts
• Top executives of end-use industries
• C-level executives of the leading Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Sales manager and regional sales manager of the Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Industry Consultants
• Annual Reports
• Company Websites
• Press Releases
• News Articles
• Government Agencies’ Publications
• Industry Publications
• Paid Databases
Analyst Tools and Models:
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
· Market Share
· Key Market Players
· Key Market Players
· Market Share
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
Mobility-As-A-Service (Maas) Market Dynamic Factors
- Growing urbanization and congestion in major cities.
- Rising environmental concerns driving demand for sustainable mobility.
- Advancements in mobile technology and IoT enabling seamless integration.
- Shift towards shared and on-demand transportation options.
- Government support and regulations favoring MaaS initiatives.
- Infrastructure challenges and limitations in some regions.
- Resistance from traditional transportation providers.
- Privacy and security concerns regarding data sharing.
- Initial investment and development costs for MaaS platforms.
- Consumer adaptation and behavior change barriers.
- Expansion of MaaS into emerging markets and untapped regions.
- Integration of autonomous vehicles into MaaS offerings.
- Customized MaaS solutions for businesses and corporate clients.
- Partnerships with public transportation authorities for seamless transit.
- Data analytics and AI-driven personalization for enhanced user experience.
- Standardization and interoperability issues among various services.
- Competition among MaaS providers for market share.
- Navigating complex regulatory environments across regions.
- Building trust in data privacy and security.
- Adapting to evolving user preferences and mobility trends.
Frequently Asked Questions