The global Ultrasound Devices Market size was valued at USD 10.33 billion in 2022 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% during the forecast period, reaching a value of USD 15.20 billion by 2030.
Ultrasound Devices Market research report by Future Data Stats, offers a comprehensive view of the market's historical data from 2017 to 2021, capturing trends, growth patterns, and key drivers. It establishes 2021 as the base year, analyzing the market landscape, consumer behavior, competition, and regulations. Additionally, the report presents a well-researched forecast period from 2022 to 2030, leveraging data analysis techniques to project the market's growth trajectory, emerging opportunities, and anticipated challenges.
Ultrasound devices are medical devices that use high-frequency sound waves to produce images of the internal structures of the body. They are commonly used in healthcare settings for diagnostic purposes, allowing healthcare professionals to visualize and assess various organs and tissues. Ultrasound technology works by emitting sound waves into the body, which then bounce back and are captured by the device's transducer. These echoes are processed to generate real-time images that can be displayed on a screen and interpreted by healthcare professionals.
Ultrasound devices offer several advantages in medical imaging. They are non-invasive and do not involve exposure to ionizing radiation, making them safe for repeated use. They provide real-time imaging, allowing for dynamic assessments of organ function. Ultrasound can be used to visualize various body systems, including the cardiovascular system, reproductive organs, abdomen, and musculoskeletal structures. It has a wide range of applications in healthcare, from pregnancy monitoring to assessing the liver, kidneys, and other internal organs. Ultrasound devices continue to evolve, with advancements in technology leading to improved image quality and the development of new applications in medical diagnosis and treatment.
The ultrasound devices market is influenced by various drivers, restraints, and opportunities. One of the key drivers is the growing prevalence of chronic diseases and the increasing demand for minimally invasive diagnostic procedures. Ultrasound devices offer a safe and non-invasive imaging technique that can aid in the early detection and monitoring of various diseases, including cardiovascular conditions, cancer, and musculoskeletal disorders. Additionally, the rising geriatric population and the subsequent increase in age-related health conditions are driving the demand for ultrasound devices.
However, the market also faces certain restraints that need to be considered. One such restraint is the high cost of ultrasound devices, which can limit their accessibility, particularly in developing regions. Moreover, the lack of skilled healthcare professionals who are proficient in using ultrasound devices can hinder market growth. Additionally, certain limitations of ultrasound technology, such as restricted penetration for deep-seated structures, may pose challenges in accurately diagnosing certain conditions.
Nevertheless, the ultrasound devices market presents significant opportunities for growth. Advancements in technology, such as the development of portable and handheld ultrasound devices, have expanded the potential applications of ultrasound in point-of-care settings. The increasing adoption of ultrasound in emerging economies, along with the rising focus on healthcare infrastructure development, presents untapped opportunities. Furthermore, the integration of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning algorithms in ultrasound devices is expected to enhance diagnostic accuracy and streamline workflow, opening new avenues for market expansion.
ULTRASOUND DEVICES MARKET SEGMENTAL ANALYSIS
BY PRODUCT TYPE:
Diagnostic ultrasound devices and therapeutic ultrasound devices. In the case of diagnostic ultrasound devices, their increasing demand is primarily attributed to the growing need for non-invasive imaging techniques in the medical field. These devices enable healthcare professionals to visualize and assess various organs and tissues, aiding in the diagnosis and monitoring of diseases across multiple medical specialties such as radiology, obstetrics/gynecology, cardiology, urology, orthopedics, and oncology. The advantages of diagnostic ultrasound devices, including their safety, real-time imaging capabilities, and versatility in different medical applications, are key drivers for their market growth.
On the other hand, therapeutic ultrasound devices have gained prominence due to their potential in non-invasive treatments and pain management. These devices use ultrasound waves to deliver targeted heat or mechanical energy to specific areas of the body, offering benefits such as promoting tissue healing, reducing inflammation, and relieving pain. The rise in the prevalence of chronic conditions, musculoskeletal disorders, and sports-related injuries has significantly contributed to the demand for therapeutic ultrasound devices. Additionally, advancements in technology have led to the development of more precise and effective therapeutic ultrasound devices, expanding their applications in rehabilitation centers, sports medicine, physiotherapy, and pain clinics.
The market encompasses a range of ultrasound technologies, including 2D ultrasound, 3D and 4D ultrasound, Doppler ultrasound, High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU), Lithotripsy ultrasound, Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS), and others. Each technology plays a significant role in different applications and offers unique advantages. 2D ultrasound is the most widely used and established technology, providing two-dimensional grayscale images of internal structures. It is extensively employed in general imaging, obstetrics, and gynecology for visualizing organs, monitoring fetal development, and guiding medical procedures. 3D and 4D ultrasound technologies provide three-dimensional images that enhance the visualization of anatomical structures, aiding in more precise diagnoses and assessments. They find applications in obstetrics, cardiology, and other medical specialties where detailed spatial information is essential.
Doppler ultrasound is utilized to measure blood flow and detect vascular abnormalities, making it valuable in cardiology, vascular medicine, and monitoring pregnancies. It enables healthcare professionals to assess blood circulation and identify conditions such as arterial blockages or fetal distress. High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) is an emerging technology that uses focused ultrasound waves to target and destroy specific tissues non-invasively. It holds promise in the treatment of tumors, particularly in oncology, as well as in the management of uterine fibroids and prostate conditions. Lithotripsy ultrasound employs shock waves to break down kidney stones and facilitate their passage, providing a non-surgical approach to stone treatment. Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS) is used to visualize the interior of blood vessels, enabling detailed assessments of plaque buildup, stent placement, and vessel abnormalities.
These applications encompass a wide range of medical specialties and include radiology/general imaging, obstetrics/gynecology, cardiology, urology, orthopedics, oncology, and others. Each application plays a significant role in driving the demand for ultrasound devices and contributes to the growth of the market.
Radiology/general imaging is a fundamental application of ultrasound devices, encompassing the visualization and assessment of various organs and tissues throughout the body. It is widely used for diagnostic purposes, allowing healthcare professionals to detect and evaluate abnormalities or diseases in multiple anatomical areas. Obstetrics/gynecology represents a crucial field for ultrasound devices, providing imaging capabilities to monitor fetal development, assess reproductive health, and aid in the diagnosis of gynecological conditions. Ultrasound plays a vital role in prenatal care and supports obstetricians and gynecologists in ensuring the well-being of both mothers and infants.
Cardiology relies heavily on ultrasound devices for non-invasive imaging of the heart and blood vessels. Ultrasound-based techniques such as echocardiography enable detailed assessments of cardiac structure, function, and blood flow, aiding in the diagnosis and management of various cardiovascular conditions. Urology utilizes ultrasound devices for imaging the urinary system, including the kidneys, bladder, and prostate. Ultrasound-based techniques in urology help in diagnosing and monitoring conditions such as kidney stones, urinary tract infections, and prostate abnormalities.
Orthopedics benefits from ultrasound devices in musculoskeletal imaging, facilitating the visualization of bones, joints, tendons, and soft tissues. Ultrasound-guided procedures in orthopedics aid in the accurate placement of injections, aspirations, and minimally invasive interventions. Oncology employs ultrasound devices in tumor imaging, guiding biopsies, and monitoring cancer treatments. Ultrasound techniques can provide real-time visualization of tumors, assist in determining their size and location, and aid in assessing treatment response.
BY END USER:
The end users of ultrasound devices include hospitals and clinics, diagnostic centers, ambulatory surgical centers, research and academic institutes, and others. Each end user segment plays a significant role in driving the demand for ultrasound devices and influencing market dynamics.
Hospitals and clinics are the primary end users of ultrasound devices, accounting for a substantial share in the market. The increasing prevalence of various diseases, coupled with the need for accurate diagnostic imaging, drives the demand for ultrasound devices in hospital and clinical settings. These facilities require ultrasound devices for a wide range of medical applications, including radiology, obstetrics, cardiology, urology, orthopedics, and oncology, among others. Diagnostic centers also represent a significant end user segment in the ultrasound devices market. These specialized centers focus on providing diagnostic imaging services to patients. Ultrasound devices are essential tools in diagnostic centers, enabling comprehensive imaging studies for accurate and timely diagnoses.
Ambulatory surgical centers utilize ultrasound devices for pre-operative planning, intraoperative guidance, and post-operative follow-up. These centers perform various surgical procedures in an outpatient setting, and ultrasound devices play a crucial role in supporting their diagnostic and interventional requirements. Research and academic institutes contribute to the demand for ultrasound devices as they engage in medical research, education, and training. Ultrasound devices are used in research studies, clinical trials, and educational programs to advance medical knowledge and train future healthcare professionals.
BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL:
Regarding distribution channels, the ultrasound devices market is driven by direct sales and distributor sales. Direct sales involve manufacturers directly selling their products to end users, such as hospitals, clinics, and diagnostic centers. On the other hand, distributor sales involve the distribution and sale of ultrasound devices through intermediary channels, including distributors and resellers.
North America and Europe are mature markets with established healthcare infrastructure and a high adoption rate of advanced medical technologies. These regions have a significant presence of key market players, technological advancements, and favorable reimbursement policies. The demand for ultrasound devices in North America and Europe is driven by factors such as the rising prevalence of chronic diseases, increasing geriatric population, and a growing focus on early diagnosis and preventive healthcare.
The Asia Pacific region is witnessing rapid market growth due to the increasing healthcare expenditure, expanding medical tourism industry, and rising awareness about the benefits of ultrasound technology. Countries like China, India, and Japan are key contributors to the market growth in the region. The large population base, improving healthcare infrastructure, and growing investments in healthcare facilities drive the demand for ultrasound devices in Asia Pacific.
Latin America and the Middle East and Africa regions are also experiencing growth in the ultrasound devices market. The rising healthcare expenditure, improving access to healthcare services, and increasing focus on improving healthcare infrastructure contribute to the market expansion in these regions. However, challenges such as limited healthcare resources and economic factors may influence the adoption of ultrasound devices to some extent.
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the ultrasound devices market. The outbreak of the virus resulted in a surge in demand for diagnostic imaging equipment, including ultrasound devices, for the diagnosis and monitoring of COVID-19 patients. Ultrasound played a crucial role in evaluating lung conditions, assessing the severity of respiratory distress, and guiding interventions such as thoracentesis and central line placement. The need for portable and handheld ultrasound devices increased as they facilitated bedside imaging and reduced the risk of virus transmission.
However, the pandemic also posed challenges for the ultrasound devices market. The widespread disruptions in healthcare systems, including the postponement of non-essential medical procedures, led to a decline in the overall demand for ultrasound devices. Healthcare facilities faced resource constraints, financial pressures, and a shift in priorities towards managing COVID-19 cases. This resulted in a temporary setback for the market.
Nevertheless, as healthcare systems adapted to the new normal, the ultrasound devices market showed signs of recovery. The resumption of elective procedures, increasing focus on early diagnosis, and the importance of point-of-care imaging in pandemic management have contributed to the rebound of the market. Furthermore, the pandemic has accelerated the adoption of telemedicine and remote imaging, leading to the exploration of new opportunities for ultrasound devices.
Mergers & Acquisitions in 2023:
- Analogic Corporation acquired by General Electric (GE)
- Fujifilm Sonosite acquired by Olympus Corporation
- Siemens Healthineers acquired Varian Medical Systems
Market New Launches in 2023:
- GE Healthcare launches Vivid E95 ultrasound system
- Philips launches Lumify portable ultrasound system
- Siemens Healthineers launches Acuson Sequoia ultrasound system
KEY MARKET PLAYERS:
- General Electric Company
- Siemens Healthineers AG
- Philips Healthcare
- Fujifilm Holdings Corporation
- Canon Medical Systems Corporation
- Samsung Medison Co., Ltd.
- Hitachi, Ltd.
- Hologic, Inc.
- Mindray Medical International Limited
- Esaote SpA
- Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Analogic Corporation
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- SonoScape Medical Corporation
- BK Medical ApS (a subsidiary of Analogic Corporation)
- Esaote North America, Inc.
- Terason (Teratech Corporation)
- Chison Medical Imaging Co., Ltd.
- Carestream Health, Inc.
- MedGyn Products, Inc.
- Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation (acquired by Canon Medical Systems Corporation)
- Zonare Medical Systems, Inc.
- Shantou Institute of Ultrasonic Instruments Co., Ltd.
- Beijing Leadman Biochemistry Co., Ltd.
- SonoStar Co., Ltd.
Table of Contents:
- Overview of Ultrasound Devices
- Market Definition
- Research Methodology
- Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Market Size and Growth
- Market Dynamics
- Ultrasound Devices Market Segmentation
- By Product Type
- By Technology
- By Application
- By End User
- By Region
- By Distribution Channel
- Competitive Landscape
- Market Share Analysis
- Key Players Overview
- Company Profiles
- Regional Analysis
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- Market Outlook and Forecast
- Market Size and Growth
- Revenue Projections
- Future Trends
- Industry Factors Analysis
- Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Investment Analysis
- Market Opportunities
- Investment Feasibility
- Strategic Recommendations
ULTRASOUND DEVICES MARKET SEGMENTATION
By Product Type:
- Diagnostic Ultrasound Devices
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Devices
- 2D Ultrasound
- 3D and 4D Ultrasound
- Doppler Ultrasound
- High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU)
- Lithotripsy Ultrasound
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS)
- Radiology/General Imaging
By End User:
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Diagnostic Centers
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Research and Academic Institutes
By Distribution Channel:
- Direct Sales
- Distributor Sales
- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Russia, Italy, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Rest of South America)
- Middle East and Africa (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Rest of MEA)
Key Reasons to Buy this Report
- Comprehensive Insights: Market research reports provide in-depth and comprehensive insights into various industries, markets, and sectors. These reports are prepared after extensive data collection, analysis, and interpretation, offering you valuable information and a clear understanding of market trends, dynamics, and opportunities.
- Future Predictions: Market research reports often include future data statistics, forecasts, and predictions. These predictions are based on rigorous analysis and modeling techniques, taking into account various factors such as market growth drivers, challenges, and emerging trends. By accessing these future data stats, you can make informed decisions and develop strategies that align with the projected market scenarios.
- Industry Analysis: Market research reports offer detailed industry analysis, including factors such as market size, market share, competitive landscape, and key players. These reports provide an overview of the industry's current status, growth potential, and competitive dynamics, enabling you to identify lucrative opportunities and stay ahead of the competition.
- Market Trends and Opportunities: By purchasing market research reports, you gain access to up-to-date information on market trends and emerging opportunities. These reports highlight the latest consumer preferences, technological advancements, regulatory changes, and other influential factors shaping the market landscape. Keeping track of these trends helps you identify potential growth areas and adapt your business strategies accordingly.
- Risk Mitigation: Investing in a market research report can help mitigate risks associated with market uncertainties. The reports provide insights into potential risks, challenges, and barriers to entry in specific markets or industries. With this knowledge, you can develop risk mitigation strategies, anticipate market fluctuations, and make informed decisions to minimize potential losses.
- Investment Decision Support: Market research reports are valuable tools for investors, venture capitalists, and financial institutions. These reports provide reliable and data-driven information that aids in investment decision-making processes. By analyzing market research reports, investors can evaluate the market potential, assess the feasibility of investment opportunities, and gauge the expected returns on investment.
- Product Development and Innovation: Market research reports offer insights into consumer preferences, needs, and demands. This information can be leveraged for product development and innovation. By understanding the market dynamics and consumer behavior, you can tailor your products or services to meet the evolving needs of your target audience, leading to enhanced customer satisfaction and market success.
- Strategic Planning: Market research reports serve as a foundation for strategic planning. They provide a comprehensive overview of the market landscape, competitive positioning, and growth potential. With this knowledge, you can develop effective business strategies, set realistic goals, and allocate resources efficiently. Strategic planning based on accurate market research helps optimize your operations and improve your chances of success.
- Market Entry and Expansion: For businesses looking to enter new markets or expand their existing operations, market research reports are indispensable. These reports provide insights into market dynamics, consumer behavior, regulatory frameworks, and competitive landscapes specific to the target markets. This information helps you assess the feasibility of market entry, identify potential obstacles, and develop market entry strategies that increase your chances of success.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making: Market research reports provide evidence-based data and analysis, enabling you to make informed decisions. Rather than relying on assumptions or guesswork, you can base your decisions on reliable information and market insights. Evidence-based decision making reduces the risk of costly mistakes and increases the likelihood of achieving your business objectives.
With a collective industry experience of about 70 years of analysts and experts, Future Data Stats encompasses the most infallible research methodology for its market intelligence and industry analysis. Not only does the company dig deep into the innermost levels of the market, but also examines the minutest details for its market estimates and forecasts.
This approach helps build a greater market-specific view of size, shape, and industry trends within each industry segment. Various industry trends and real-time developments are factored into identifying key growth factors and the future course of the market. The research proceeds are the results of high-quality data, expert views & analysis, and valuable independent opinions. The research process is designed to deliver a balanced view of the global markets and allows stakeholders to make informed decisions, to attain their highest growth objectives.
Future Data Stats offers its clients exhaustive research and analysis, based on a wide variety of factual inputs, which largely include interviews with industry participants, reliable statistics, and regional intelligence. The in-house industry experts play an instrumental role in designing analytic tools and models, tailored to the requirements of a particular industry segment. These analytical tools and models distill the data & statistics and enhance the accuracy of our recommendations and advice.
With Future Data Stats calibrated research process and 360° data-evaluation methodology, the clients receive:
- Consistent, valuable, robust, and actionable data & analysis that can easily be referenced for strategic business planning
- Technologically sophisticated and reliable insights through a well-audited and veracious research methodology
- Sovereign research proceeds that present a tangible depiction of the marketplace
With this strong methodology, Future Data Stats ensures that its research and analysis is most reliable and guarantees sound business planning.
The research methodology of the global market involves extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research includes about 24 hours of interviews and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders that include upstream and downstream participants. Primary research typically is a bulk of our research efforts, coherently supported by extensive secondary research. Over 3000 product literature, industry releases, annual reports, and other such documents of key industry participants have been reviewed to obtain a better market understanding and gain enhanced competitive intelligence. In addition, authentic industry journals, trade associations’ releases, and government websites have also been reviewed to generate high-value industry insights.
• Identify key opinion leaders
• Questionnaire design
• In-depth Interviews
• Coverage across the value chain
• Company Website
• Company Annual Reports
• Paid Databases
• Financial Reports
• Market Participants
• Key Strengths
• Product Portfolio
• Mapping as per Value Chain
• Key focus segment
Primary research efforts include reaching out to participants through emails, telephonic conversations, referrals, and professional corporate relations with various companies that make way for greater flexibility in reaching out to industry participants and commentators for interviews and discussions.
The aforementioned helps to:
- Validate and improve data quality and strengthen the research proceeds
- Develop a market understanding and expertise
- Supply authentic information about the market size, share, growth, and forecasts
The primary research interview and discussion panels comprise experienced industry personnel.
These participants include, but are not limited to:
- Chief executives and VPs of leading corporations specific to an industry
- Product and sales managers or country heads; channel partners & top-level distributors; banking, investments, and valuation experts
- Key opinion leaders (KOLs)
A broad array of industry sources for the secondary research typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Company SEC filings, annual reports, company websites, broker & financial reports, and investor presentations for a competitive scenario and shape of the industry
- Patent and regulatory databases to understand technical & legal developments
- Scientific and technical writings for product information and related preemptions
- Regional government and statistical databases for macro analysis
- Authentic news articles, web-casts, and other related releases to evaluate the market
- Internal and external proprietary databases, key market indicators, and relevant press releases for market estimates and forecasts
• Top executives of end-use industries
• C-level executives of the leading Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Sales manager and regional sales manager of the Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Industry Consultants
• Annual Reports
• Company Websites
• Press Releases
• News Articles
• Government Agencies’ Publications
• Industry Publications
• Paid Databases
Analyst Tools and Models:
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
· Market Share
· Key Market Players
· Key Market Players
· Market Share
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
Ultrasound Devices Market Dynamic Factors
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and the need for accurate diagnosis and monitoring
- Growing demand for non-invasive imaging techniques in healthcare
- Advancements in ultrasound technology, leading to improved image quality and diagnostic capabilities
- Rising geriatric population and the associated increase in age-related conditions
- Expanding applications of ultrasound devices in various medical specialties
- Supportive reimbursement policies for ultrasound procedures
- High cost of advanced ultrasound devices, limiting their accessibility in certain regions
- Limited availability of skilled professionals to operate and interpret ultrasound results
- Safety concerns and limitations of ultrasound imaging in certain clinical scenarios
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare systems and temporary disruptions in elective procedures
- Stringent regulations and approval processes for ultrasound devices
- Emerging markets with growing healthcare infrastructure and increasing healthcare expenditure
- Development of handheld and portable ultrasound devices for point-of-care imaging
- Integration of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning algorithms in ultrasound technology
- Expansion of telemedicine and remote imaging, enabling remote consultations and diagnostics
- Focus on research and development for innovative ultrasound applications and techniques
- Competition from alternative imaging technologies such as MRI and CT scans
- Economic uncertainties and budget constraints in healthcare systems
- Limited awareness and adoption of advanced ultrasound technologies in certain regions
- Complexities associated with interpreting ultrasound results and the need for ongoing training and education for healthcare professionals
- Environmental concerns regarding the disposal of ultrasound equipment and its impact on the ecosystem.
Frequently Asked Questions