The global Water market size was valued at USD 991.45 billion in 2023 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.2% during the forecast period, reaching a value of USD 1.6 trillion by 2030.
Water market research report by Future Data Stats, offers a comprehensive view of the market's historical data from 2018 to 2021, capturing trends, growth patterns, and key drivers. It establishes 2022 as the base year, analyzing the market landscape, consumer behavior, competition, and regulations. Additionally, the report presents a well-researched forecast period from 2023 to 2030, leveraging data analysis techniques to project the market's growth trajectory, emerging opportunities, and anticipated challenges.
Water is a fundamental and essential compound that covers about 71% of the Earth's surface. It is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless liquid composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, chemically represented as H2O. Water plays a critical role in sustaining life on our planet, serving as the foundation for all known forms of life. It is vital for various biological processes, including hydration, digestion, and temperature regulation in humans and other organisms. Beyond its biological significance, water is also a precious resource for agriculture, industry, and energy production, making it central to the global economy and ecosystem.
Water exists in various forms, including liquid, solid (ice), and gas (vapor), depending on temperature and pressure conditions. It continuously circulates through the Earth's hydrological cycle, moving from oceans, lakes, and rivers into the atmosphere through evaporation and returning as precipitation. Access to clean and safe drinking water is a fundamental human right, and efforts to ensure its availability and quality remain a critical global challenge. Water also holds cultural and spiritual significance in many societies, underscoring its multifaceted importance to human civilization and the natural world.
The increasing global demand for clean and accessible drinking water. As population growth and industrialization place greater stress on water resources, the need for advanced water treatment and distribution systems has surged. Additionally, growing awareness of environmental sustainability has spurred investments in water management and conservation solutions, driving market expansion. The push for more stringent water quality regulations by governments worldwide further fuels the adoption of water treatment technologies.
Conversely, the market faces significant restraints, including aging water infrastructure, especially in developed countries, which poses challenges for efficient water supply and treatment. Water scarcity and pollution, exacerbated by climate change, are persistent challenges that hinder market growth. Regulatory complexities and compliance costs can also act as barriers to entry for smaller players in the water treatment sector. However, these challenges have also led to opportunities for innovation in water-saving technologies, decentralized water treatment solutions, and the development of sustainable water management practices. In essence, the Water market's dynamic landscape is shaped by these drivers, restraints, and the ever-expanding spectrum of opportunities.
WATER MARKET SEGMENTAL ANALYSIS
Freshwater is a pivotal driver within this market. Freshwater, derived from sources like rivers, lakes, and underground aquifers, is essential for human consumption, agriculture, and industrial processes. Its dominance is underscored by its significance in sustaining life and supporting various economic activities. The increasing demand for clean freshwater, driven by population growth and urbanization, places Freshwater at the forefront of market dynamics.
On the other hand, Saltwater, primarily sourced from oceans and seas, is another dominant factor within the Water market. While less directly accessible for drinking and irrigation, advancements in desalination technologies have elevated the importance of Saltwater as a potential solution to freshwater scarcity. In regions where freshwater sources are limited, desalination processes are being deployed to convert Saltwater into potable water, highlighting its increasing relevance.
Surface Water plays a pivotal role in the market. It encompasses water from rivers, lakes, and other visible sources on the Earth's surface. Surface water is a vital resource for various purposes, including drinking, agriculture, and industrial processes. The accessibility and quality of surface water sources directly impact regional water supply and demand dynamics, making it a key driver within the Water market.
Groundwater, sourced from underground aquifers, is another significant factor shaping the Water market. It serves as a vital reserve of freshwater, especially in regions with limited access to surface water. The sustainable management and extraction of groundwater are critical to meeting water demands for drinking and irrigation. Groundwater quality and availability are subject to various factors, including recharge rates and aquifer health, making it an essential component of the market's supply-side considerations.
Desalination, the process of converting saltwater (usually from oceans) into freshwater, is gaining prominence as a dominant factor within the Water market. In regions where freshwater sources are scarce, desalination technologies are increasingly utilized to provide a reliable source of potable water. Advances in desalination techniques have made it a viable solution for addressing water scarcity challenges, particularly in arid and coastal regions.
Among the dominant factors shaping this market, the application of water resources stands out prominently. Water is essential for a multitude of purposes, and its distribution and management vary significantly across different sectors.
In the context of the water market, one of the primary applications is drinking water. Ensuring a safe and reliable supply of clean drinking water is a top priority globally. The quality and accessibility of drinking water are critical factors that impact public health and well-being.
Agriculture is another key application of the water market. The agricultural sector heavily relies on water for irrigation purposes. Efficient water management practices in agriculture are crucial for ensuring food security and sustainable farming practices. Balancing the water needs of agriculture with those of other sectors is an ongoing challenge.
The industrial sector represents another significant application of the water market. Industries require water for various processes, from manufacturing to cooling. Sustainable water usage and treatment in industrial applications are essential to reduce environmental impact. Moreover, the municipal and recreational sectors also contribute to the complexity of the water market, each with its unique demands and requirements.
BY TREATMENT TECHNOLOGY:
Filtration stands out as a fundamental treatment technology in the water market. It involves the removal of impurities and contaminants from water through physical barriers or chemical processes. Filtration not only enhances water quality for drinking and industrial use but is also vital in wastewater treatment, contributing to environmental protection.
Disinfection is another pivotal treatment technology, particularly in ensuring the safety of drinking water. It involves the removal of harmful microorganisms and pathogens from water sources. Chlorination and UV radiation are common disinfection methods that help prevent waterborne diseases and safeguard public health.
Desalination, distillation, and chemical treatment are advanced treatment technologies that play vital roles in addressing specific water challenges. Desalination is critical in regions with limited freshwater resources, as it converts seawater into potable water. Distillation involves the separation of water from contaminants through evaporation and condensation, making it suitable for various applications. Chemical treatment, on the other hand, utilizes chemical processes to remove impurities and adjust water chemistry, ensuring it meets specific requirements.
In residential settings, the demand for clean and safe drinking water is paramount. Ensuring a consistent supply of quality water to households is a critical factor in maintaining public health and well-being. Residential users also contribute to wastewater management, highlighting the interconnectedness of water supply and sanitation.
Commercial establishments, such as businesses and institutions, require water for various purposes, including manufacturing, cleaning, and daily operations. The commercial sector places a premium on efficient water management practices to minimize costs and environmental impact. Sustainable water use is a growing concern for these end-users.
The industrial sector is a significant driver of the water market, relying on water for processes ranging from cooling to production. Industries require substantial quantities of water, and effective water treatment and recycling are vital for minimizing resource consumption and pollution. Agricultural end-users depend on water for irrigation and livestock, making efficient water management crucial for sustainable farming practices. Lastly, government and municipalities play a critical role in managing water resources, ensuring equitable distribution, and maintaining infrastructure for the public good.
North America, for instance, is characterized by its advanced water infrastructure and stringent regulations governing water quality. The region places a strong emphasis on sustainable water management practices, with a growing focus on water conservation and reuse initiatives. In contrast, Europe has a long history of water management and is known for its innovative approaches to addressing water-related issues. The European Union's Water Framework Directive plays a central role in guiding water policies and ensuring the protection of water resources.
Asia Pacific, with its rapid industrialization and urbanization, faces significant water-related challenges. Ensuring access to safe drinking water and managing water pollution are top priorities in this region. Latin America is marked by its rich water resources, but also struggles with issues related to unequal distribution and pollution. In the Middle East and Africa, water scarcity is a pressing concern, driving the need for innovative solutions such as desalination and efficient water use practices.
The pandemic highlighted the critical importance of clean and accessible water for personal hygiene and sanitation. It led to increased awareness of the necessity of reliable water supply for public health. However, it also exposed vulnerabilities in water systems, particularly in densely populated areas and regions with limited access to clean water.
Lockdowns and economic disruptions during the pandemic affected industrial and commercial water consumption patterns, leading to shifts in demand. Many industries scaled back operations, affecting their water usage. In contrast, residential water consumption increased as more people worked from home and adhered to lockdown measures. These fluctuations in demand posed challenges for water utilities in terms of distribution and resource allocation.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Suez merges with Veolia to form Veolia Environnement (2022)
- Xylem acquires Evoqua Water Technologies (2023)
Product New Launches
- Xylem's IntelliFlux smart water management platform (2023)
- Suez's Wateright digital water management solution (2023)
- Evoqua's Water Reuse System (2023)
KEY MARKET PLAYERS:
- Veolia Environnement
- Danaher Corporation
- Xylem Inc.
- IDEX Corporation
- Pentair plc
- A. O. Smith Corporation
- Ecolab Inc.
- American Water Works Company, Inc.
- Roper Technologies, Inc.
- IDEX Corporation
- Mueller Water Products, Inc.
- Badger Meter, Inc.
- IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Kurita Water Industries Ltd.
- Aquatech International LLC
- Tetra Tech, Inc.
- Aqua America, Inc.
- AquaVenture Holdings Limited
- Calgon Carbon Corporation
- ABB Group
- Grundfos Holding A/S
- Schneider Electric SE
- Honeywell International Inc.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Market Overview
- Market Segmentation
- 4.1 By Type
- 4.2 By Source
- 4.3 By Application
- 4.4 By Region
- 4.5 By Treatment Technology
- 4.6 By End-User
- Market Dynamics
- 5.1 Market Drivers
- 5.2 Market Restraints
- 5.3 Market Opportunities
- 5.4 Market Challenges
- Competitive Landscape
- 6.1 Key Players
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis
- Regional Analysis
- 7.1 North America
- 7.2 Europe
- 7.3 Asia-Pacific
- 7.4 Latin America
- 7.5 Middle East and Africa
- Recent Developments and Innovations
- Regulatory Framework
- Investment Analysis
- Future Outlook
- 12.1 Methodology
- 12.2 Data Sources
- 12.3 Disclaimer
Water Market Segmentation
- Surface Water
- Drinking Water
By Treatment Technology:
- Chemical Treatment
- Government & Municipalities
Key Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Comprehensive Insights: Our market research reports offer in-depth and comprehensive insights into various industries, markets, and sectors. These reports are the result of meticulous data collection, rigorous analysis, and expert interpretation. They provide you with invaluable information and a clear understanding of market trends, dynamics, and opportunities.
- Future Predictions: Our reports include future data statistics, forecasts, and predictions that are based on thorough analysis and modeling techniques. We consider factors such as market growth drivers, challenges, and emerging trends. Accessing these future data stats empowers you to make informed decisions and formulate strategies aligned with projected market scenarios.
- Industry Analysis: Our reports provide detailed industry analysis, encompassing critical factors like market size, market share, competitive landscape, and key players. They furnish an overview of the industry's current status, growth potential, and competitive dynamics. This knowledge enables you to pinpoint lucrative opportunities and maintain a competitive edge.
- Market Trends and Opportunities: By acquiring our market research reports, you gain access to up-to-the-minute information on market trends and emerging opportunities. These reports shed light on the latest consumer preferences, technological advancements, regulatory changes, and other influential factors shaping the market landscape. Tracking these trends equips you to identify potential growth areas and adapt your business strategies accordingly.
- Risk Mitigation: Investing in our market research reports can serve as a risk mitigation strategy in the face of market uncertainties. Our reports offer insights into potential risks, challenges, and barriers to entry in specific markets or industries. Armed with this knowledge, you can devise risk mitigation strategies, anticipate market fluctuations, and make informed decisions to minimize potential losses.
- Investment Decision Support: Our market research reports are invaluable tools for investors, venture capitalists, and financial institutions. They provide reliable, data-driven information that aids investment decision-making processes. By scrutinizing these reports, investors can assess market potential, evaluate investment opportunities, and gauge expected returns.
- Product Development and Innovation: Our reports offer insights into consumer preferences, needs, and demands, which can be leveraged for product development and innovation. Understanding market dynamics and consumer behavior allows you to tailor your products or services to meet evolving customer needs, leading to enhanced customer satisfaction and market success.
- Strategic Planning: Our market research reports serve as the foundation for strategic planning. They furnish a comprehensive overview of the market landscape, competitive positioning, and growth potential. Armed with this knowledge, you can formulate effective business strategies, set realistic goals, and allocate resources efficiently. Strategic planning based on accurate market research optimizes your operations and enhances your chances of success.
- Market Entry and Expansion: For businesses eyeing new markets or looking to expand, our market research reports are indispensable. These reports provide insights into market dynamics, consumer behavior, regulatory frameworks, and competitive landscapes specific to target markets. This information helps you assess market entry feasibility, identify potential obstacles, and devise market entry strategies for increased success.
- Evidence-Based Decision Making: Our market research reports offer evidence-based data and analysis, allowing for informed decision making. Rather than relying on assumptions or guesswork, you can base your decisions on reliable information and market insights. Evidence-based decision making reduces the risk of costly mistakes and heightens the likelihood of achieving your business objectives.
With a collective industry experience of about 70 years of analysts and experts, Future Data Stats encompasses the most infallible research methodology for its market intelligence and industry analysis. Not only does the company dig deep into the innermost levels of the market, but also examines the minutest details for its market estimates and forecasts.
This approach helps build a greater market-specific view of size, shape, and industry trends within each industry segment. Various industry trends and real-time developments are factored into identifying key growth factors and the future course of the market. The research proceeds are the results of high-quality data, expert views & analysis, and valuable independent opinions. The research process is designed to deliver a balanced view of the global markets and allows stakeholders to make informed decisions, to attain their highest growth objectives.
Future Data Stats offers its clients exhaustive research and analysis, based on a wide variety of factual inputs, which largely include interviews with industry participants, reliable statistics, and regional intelligence. The in-house industry experts play an instrumental role in designing analytic tools and models, tailored to the requirements of a particular industry segment. These analytical tools and models distill the data & statistics and enhance the accuracy of our recommendations and advice.
With Future Data Stats calibrated research process and 360° data-evaluation methodology, the clients receive:
- Consistent, valuable, robust, and actionable data & analysis that can easily be referenced for strategic business planning
- Technologically sophisticated and reliable insights through a well-audited and veracious research methodology
- Sovereign research proceeds that present a tangible depiction of the marketplace
With this strong methodology, Future Data Stats ensures that its research and analysis is most reliable and guarantees sound business planning.
The research methodology of the global market involves extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research includes about 24 hours of interviews and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders that include upstream and downstream participants. Primary research typically is a bulk of our research efforts, coherently supported by extensive secondary research. Over 3000 product literature, industry releases, annual reports, and other such documents of key industry participants have been reviewed to obtain a better market understanding and gain enhanced competitive intelligence. In addition, authentic industry journals, trade associations’ releases, and government websites have also been reviewed to generate high-value industry insights.
• Identify key opinion leaders
• Questionnaire design
• In-depth Interviews
• Coverage across the value chain
• Company Website
• Company Annual Reports
• Paid Databases
• Financial Reports
• Market Participants
• Key Strengths
• Product Portfolio
• Mapping as per Value Chain
• Key focus segment
Primary research efforts include reaching out to participants through emails, telephonic conversations, referrals, and professional corporate relations with various companies that make way for greater flexibility in reaching out to industry participants and commentators for interviews and discussions.
The aforementioned helps to:
- Validate and improve data quality and strengthen the research proceeds
- Develop a market understanding and expertise
- Supply authentic information about the market size, share, growth, and forecasts
The primary research interview and discussion panels comprise experienced industry personnel.
These participants include, but are not limited to:
- Chief executives and VPs of leading corporations specific to an industry
- Product and sales managers or country heads; channel partners & top-level distributors; banking, investments, and valuation experts
- Key opinion leaders (KOLs)
A broad array of industry sources for the secondary research typically includes, but is not limited to:
- Company SEC filings, annual reports, company websites, broker & financial reports, and investor presentations for a competitive scenario and shape of the industry
- Patent and regulatory databases to understand technical & legal developments
- Scientific and technical writings for product information and related preemptions
- Regional government and statistical databases for macro analysis
- Authentic news articles, web-casts, and other related releases to evaluate the market
- Internal and external proprietary databases, key market indicators, and relevant press releases for market estimates and forecasts
• Top executives of end-use industries
• C-level executives of the leading Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Sales manager and regional sales manager of the Parenteral Nutrition companies
• Industry Consultants
• Annual Reports
• Company Websites
• Press Releases
• News Articles
• Government Agencies’ Publications
• Industry Publications
• Paid Databases
Analyst Tools and Models:
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
· Market Share
· Key Market Players
· Key Market Players
· Market Share
· Arriving at
· Arriving at
Water Market Dynamic Factors
- Increasing global population and urbanization, leading to higher water demand.
- Growing awareness of water scarcity and the need for sustainable water management.
- Stringent environmental regulations driving the adoption of water treatment technologies.
- Technological advancements in water purification and distribution.
- Rising industrialization and the need for water in various manufacturing processes.
- Increasing focus on water reuse and recycling to address resource limitations.
- Investment in infrastructure development for water supply and sanitation.
- Water pollution and contamination, leading to quality issues.
- High upfront costs associated with water treatment and infrastructure.
- Aging water infrastructure and distribution networks in some regions.
- Limited access to clean water in certain areas, especially in developing countries.
- Resistance to change and adoption of new water management practices.
- Geographical disparities in water availability and distribution.
- Vulnerability to climate change, including droughts and extreme weather events.
- Expansion of water treatment technologies and services markets.
- Investment opportunities in water infrastructure development.
- Growing demand for smart water management solutions.
- Collaboration between public and private sectors for sustainable water projects.
- Market potential in addressing emerging contaminants and microplastics.
- Increased adoption of decentralized water treatment systems.
- Innovation in water conservation and efficiency technologies.
- Balancing water supply and demand in the face of population growth.
- Addressing the impacts of climate change on water resources.
- Ensuring equitable access to clean water globally.
- Financing large-scale water infrastructure projects.
- Dealing with aging pipelines and potential water loss.
- Navigating complex regulatory landscapes in different regions.
- Public awareness and behavior change to reduce water wastage.
Frequently Asked Questions